Wednesday, March 09, 2005

I got my F-4 Visa today.

Change of plans. I originally decided to fly out to Korea and apply for my F-4 Visa there. But, I’ve read from other people’s blogs that it takes 5 days for them to process the visa in Korea. I didn’t want to spend a week in Korea waiting for the Visa to be processed. I would recommend gyopos to obtain F-4 Visa while they are in the U.S. if possible. There’s less red tape and you don’t have to waste time in Korea. When I got my passport back, there was a notice attached to it:

"재외동포(F-4) 비자를 영사관에서 받으신 분은 비자 발급일로부터 반드시 90일 이내에 입국을 하셔야 하며 입국후 90일 이내에 거주지관할 법무부 출입국 관리소에서 거소신고를 하여 거소증 을 발급 받으셔야 재외동포 F-4 비자 효력이 발생됩니다. "

It translates to something like: ”Once you obtained your F- 4 Visa, you must enter S. Korea within 90 days from the issuance of the visa. Then within 90 days of entering S. Korea, you must go to a local immigration office and apply for 거소증 (like national ID for gyopo). Once you received your 거소증(national ID) then your F-4 Visa goes into effect.

So, I asked one of my relatives in Korea to obtain 2 copies of my 호적등본(Hojukdengbon) and mail it to me. This took about 4 days. Then I headed to Korean Consulate Office in LA. The documents that I submitted were:

For 국적상실신고서 (To report your loss of Korean Citizenship) :

국적상실신고서 X 2
호적등본 X 2
Naturalization Certificate copy front and back X 2
Naturalization Certificate original
Fee 50 cents

The clerk looked at the original Naturalization Certificate for a minute and gave it right back.

For F-4 Visa:

U.S. Passport
Visa application
1 photo
Fee $45.

The clerk told me to come back the next day. I dropped off the documents Monday and picked up my passport on Tuesday. Wow! This was a piece of cake compared to what some 2nd generation gyopos have gone through. Your experiences may vary. It would be helpful to read my previous post on F-4 and also Mike's Blog regarding Korean military service issue for gyopos.

6 Comments:

  • No. For 1.5 Koreans who were born in Korea and became naturalized U.S. Citizens, Korean judge doesn't have to be involved. For people who were born in U.S. and also registered their name in 호적, the legal process needs to be undertaken in order to remove your name from 호적(Hojuk). Trust the Consulate. I've been to Korea 3 times with my U.S. passport without F-4 and I never heard a peep from the Korean military. I'd recommend that you file 국적상실(loss of Korean citizenship) and apply for Visa while in U.S. to prevent unwanted draft, just in case.

    By Blogger Jonathan J. Kim, at Friday, March 11, 2005 7:23:00 AM  

  • Please see my new post on Clarification of Visas and Korean military service.

    By Blogger Jonathan J. Kim, at Sunday, March 13, 2005 8:46:00 AM  

  • No. I filed for 국적상실(Loss of Citizenship) and applied for F-4 Visa the same day. The clerk1 at window1 for 국적상실 said that it takes 3 months for the 국적상실 report to be processed but she said that I could apply for the F-4 Visa the same day. Clerk1 gave me a note saying that I filed for 국적상실 that day. I took the note to clerk2 at window2 and applied for F-4. I think the 국적상실 report is a matter of formality. This was at the LA Consulate. I'm a 1.5 naturalized American citizen. Are you a 1.5 or 2nd generation?

    By Blogger Jonathan J. Kim, at Friday, March 18, 2005 6:27:00 AM  

  • Well, I don't know where that article came from. But, I have a 1.5 friend who was naturalized, went back to Korea with F-4. He's been living and working in Korea with F-4 continuously for the last 4-5 years without getting drafted. So, I feel pretty confident that I won't be drafted. Then again, I can't make any guarantees. I'm not an attorney.

    By Blogger Jonathan J. Kim, at Friday, March 18, 2005 9:57:00 AM  

  • I have a quick question I am adopted by US citizens at the age of 8, and I was born at korea
    and I would like to stay there for a long time
    and F4 is one way of going there, am I eligible for F4 and how would it affect me on the military service?

    By Blogger Unknown, at Friday, May 06, 2011 1:49:00 PM  


  • Get Your visa renewal done in less than 3 hours from the time you make your embassy payment. payment after processing your application. us visa renewal we deal with american USA visa renewal services in India mainly in Hyderabad Delhi Mumbai Chennai kolkata.

    By Blogger Unknown, at Monday, December 25, 2017 6:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home