Saturday, April 23, 2005

I picked up my 거소증(Gyopo ID)

I picked up my 거소증(Gyopo ID). Actually, it’s been a while, but I’ve just been way too busy to write about it.

I went down to Korean Immigration office in 목동(Mokdong) in Seoul. Take subway line number 5, get off at 오목교(Ohmokgyo) station, exit #7 and walk Southwest for about 10 minutes.

The documents I needed were:

거소증 form
My U.S. Passport
Copies of my 호적등본 X 2
Copies of my U.S. Naturalization Certificate X 2
Photos 3.5cm x 4.5cm X 2
Fee KRW 10,000


Step 1: 호적등본
They want a new copy. To get it, walk across the street East from Immigration office to a 동사무소(Dong Office). It’s a little hard to spot. It’s between two churches. Fill out a form to request 호적등본 and show your passport. You’ll need to know the name of 호주(Head of household) and 본적지(Your original or something address. Ask your parents.) They want a new copy of 호적등본 to see that your name is deleted from it. However, the clerk knew that it was too recent for the 국적상실신고(loss of Korean Citizenship) to have been processed and understood why my name was still on it.

Step 2: Photos, copies and revenue stamp
Go back across the street to Immigration Office and go down to the basement. Use the self photo booth to take photos. Alternately, you could’ve taken photos from any self photo booths in a subway station. It costs KRW 3,000. Make 2 copies of Naturalization certificate. There’s a lady there who makes the copies for you. Next to the copy machine, they sell revenue stamps. Buy a revenue stamp for KRW 10,000.

Step 3:
Head up to the 2nd floor where they process 거소증. Fill out a 거소증 form and turn in your documents. The clerk will give you a receipt that you need to turn in when you want to pickup your passport and 거소증. It takes 10-14 days to process. Make sure you have enough Korean money to last for 14 days before you drop off your passport. You can’t exchange currency and basically you can’t do anything without your passport. Make sure you don’t have an interview lined up in the next 2 weeks. Your employer will want to see your passport.

Step 4:
Come back in 10-14 days and pick up your passport and 거소증.

1 Comments:

  • Nobody believes my 거스증picture is really me :-( I guess because my hair was way longer then...anyway, this is my first comment on your blog! I just read your email about my blog (nevafar.blogspot.com)...thanks for the feedback!!!

    Also, I must say...having the F-4 visa absolutely rocks!!!

    By Blogger neva_far, at Thursday, April 28, 2005 12:19:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home